Sunday, June 28, 2009

Buttons!!

Well, I tackled a long overdue chore yesterday and got my button sewing done so I finally have some projects that are now officially OTN and FO. I don't know why I procrastinated so long on getting these buttons sewn on. Once I got started it didn't take that long. But in my defense, I had a hard time finding really cute buttons. Who knew cute buttons were so hard to find.

So anyway, here's how I spent Saturday afternoon.....

Sewing on plain, tiny blue buttons for the Little Boy Blue Sweater for my grandbaby.

Pattern: DROPS b17-23 (used this for the sweater and hat)
Yarn: Brooklyn Handspun Soft Spun - Superwash Sock Yarn
Needles:Size 1, 3, 4, us
I couldn't find a top down pattern for the sock weight yarn so I ended up using this pattern from Drops Design. This was knit from the bottom up, a first for me. Drops has a ton of free patterns on their website.. a great resource but I didn't like the decrease technique in the yoke area. It's a newborn size so I don't expect he'll get to wear it too often. His next sweater will be a top down and I will find cute buttons.

Still sewing... this time little pink buttons for a coworker who is expecting a baby girl.

Pattern: Easy Baby Cardigan by Diane Soucy (the Knitting Pure and Simple lady)
Yarn: Berrocco Comfort
Needles:Size 7us
This is a really nice quick and easy pattern. The buttons are little flower shapes but you can't really tell that from the picture.

And finally... buttons for a collection of bibs knit for my daughter. I started these early in her pregnancy. I was itching to knit for the baby but at that point we hadn't found out the baby was a boy. The colors are awfully bright and I probably wouldn't have chosen them if I had waited and known "he" was a "he". But if they catch food dribbles then I guess they've served their purpose.

Pattern: Baby Bib O' Love by Kay Gardiner and Anne Shayne from Mason Dixon Knitting
Yarn: Lion Cotton-Ease
Needles: Size us 6

And to complete my baby knitting... the sheep hat is done. In fact, I made two. I had enough yarn to make little thumb-less mittens and a second hat for a friend of my daughter's who is also having a baby boy.

Pattern: Baby Sheep Hat by Melissa Burt
Yarn: Knit Picks Bare - Superwash Merino DK Weight dyed with Wilton's food colorings.
Needles: Size 6 us
The original pattern was made with 64 stitches, which seemed a bit small, so I reworked the hat a couple of times and finally settled on adding 20 stitches to the original chart, keeping the same number of sheep, for a final cast on of 84 stitches and used a 2x2 rib rather than the rolled brim.

Now we just have to wait for baby to make his arrival.

Happy Knitting!

4 comments:

  1. OMG that's a lot of buttons Pumpkin! Don't you feel better though. I guess I can let you come to work tomorrow :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY on getting the buttons put on, I don't like that part either. Everything is so cute, I lvoe that sheep hat : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness. Its all SO cute. I never did put buttons on the one cardigan I've knit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow.. where have I been. Look at the fabulous knitting. Great job....

    ReplyDelete