Saturday, September 13, 2008

Friday fiction on Saturday

Phoe from Phoeknits just started this Friday Fiction writing thing yesterday. You can either write some fiction (which for meself is no) or take the prompt and write a blog entry. Option two it is, blog entry.
Friday Fiction Prompt:
What do you see from your window?

Well I don't usually see too much. I live in the city, in a row home, on a block that runs on an angle, so I have nothing across the street from me. No houses, no neighbors. It's like I'm on an extra appendage. Across the street on an angle is a school and school yard, which is full of cars today. More so than usual.


Why? Well, my street is closed off for a serenade tonight. I live in South Philly, which is pretty much synonymous with Italian. You want good Italian food and delicacies, you come to South Philly, capeshe. South Philly was settled by Italian immigrants who brought their traditions with them from their homeland. One of them being serenades. Basically, the night before the wedding, the groom-to-be stands underneath the bride-to-be 's window and serenades her with love songs. It was small, intimate, and with a few family members present. That was then, this is now.


Now, the serenade is held usually about two weeks before the wedding. The street is closed off. Big tents are erected. Tables and chairs are put out. Food and drink are a plenty. There is usually a DJ and a small Mummers string band almost always stops by too. Everybody does the mummers strut. (Sorry can't find a video worthy of viewing) Basically the serenade is a pre-wedding party, and everybody gets pretty smashed. All the neighbors are invited too, to get something to eat and drink. I won't go because I don't know them too well. It's not that I'm anti-social, I just don't hang with my neighbors. I actually don't even know that many down that end of the street.
Anyway, that's what I see from my window today.

TTFN!

5 comments:

  1. Pretty cool!

    You must live in the area where Pat's is. We're Pat's (NOT Geno's) people.

    Oh gah! I sure miss Philly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun is that?! We don't have anything like that around here out in the sticks. Maybe in Chicago they do stuff like that. I'm not sure. I have never heard of it. I'll have to ask my BF who is 100% Italian.
    Sounds like you live near fantastic food! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a fun tradition!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How cool is that? Thanks for sharing too!

    ReplyDelete