Friday, May 16, 2008

My Mother's Day with Chatty Kathy

Who is Chatty Kathy, you might ask? That's my nick name for my mom for obvious reasons. BTW, Mom told me if I take a picture of her, let alone put on my blog, she will kill me. "You know the rule Jennifer! No pictures!" She doesn't think she takes good pictures so I obviously respect her rule.

Every year, I take my mom to Rice's Flea Market on Saturday of Mother's Day weekend. It's only open on Saturdays and Tuesdays. Rice's is about an hour outside of Philly, just down the road from Peddler's Village. And every year, without fail my mom and I seem to go a different route, and sometimes get a little lost. "Oh this looks famailiar...oh...wait...no it doesn't." Then we figure out that we are going the right way, and we laugh. My mom and I are always laughing about something. And whenever we go somewhere, it's always an adventure.


There are several barns on the property, with lots of stuff (aka junk) in them. My mom loves looking at stuff.


These flowers are made of clay. I kid you not. This woman had talent!


Delicious and cheap fruit!

The weather was not very promising Saturday morning, so there weren't as many vendors as usual. That didn't stop us from finding bargains though. Where else can you get a Dolce and Gabbana bag for $27??? Not authentic mind you, but why spend lots of money on a designer bag when you can spend that money on yarn instead? We also bought some cookies, some plants (for mom; I kill plants), my mom got a handbag, hair styling products, hair clippies. Basically a bunch of stuff. I am always on the look out for knitting paraphernalia, but I really don't think that is the type of place to find any. Next time we decide to go to Rice's we are going to take a Tuesday off from work and go. Everyone there was saying it was so much better on Tuesdays. Even my girlfriend Tara, who is not a flea market type person, said Tuesdays were awesome.






Beautiful flowers ready to bought and replanted!

While driving to Rice's the roads are rural. The houses are nice and big, and it's kind of woodsy. Well, on the way we saw this house, and thank god no one was behind me because I basically came to a complete stop. This house was built and situated in way to make one come to a complete stop. On the way back, we pulled into the drive way to get a better look:


We could not believe our eyes. This is not a typical house for this area. It put us in mind of a castle, yet French chateau possibly? My mom said, "Oh my God! It has chimney pots!" We busted out laughing. We can't imagine who lives there, or how one could keep it clean without several maids/servants. I'm sure the people across the road must be real happy with this traffic stopper.

Afterwards we went to lunch and just chatted. We did have a lovely time.

The rest of my week kind of stunk. I have had a sinus thing since last Thursday, and actually called out of work two days. So sick I couldn't even knit! Now I just have cough that won't go away. I call it my kennel cough, because if you ever had a dog who had that, that's pretty much what I sound like. My Flyers, although they won yesterday on my birthday, are down 3 games to 1. It's not looking good. But then again, I didn't think they were going to make it into playoffs to begin with. I really have no business to complain. But as a die hard, this is what I do.
Oh and I had to frog my Citrus Yoke Pullover. Now I read the pattern directions and notes several times, but I just assumed it would work correctly. How was I supposed to know I had to keep track of what stitches were increases so I could purl them the next round? Can't the pattern creator tell me to use markers? I searched the pattern on Ravelry and realized that if I kept going with what I was doing....well one of these things won't look like the others. One of these things just doesn't belong! So I frogged. Oh well! I wasn't that far along anyway.

Until next time, take care and have a great weekend!

TTFN!

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like you and your mom had an awesome time! I love those clay flowers. Simply amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow what a house, I would have stopped too! I'm glad you guys had a good day out...mom and me are like that, always have a good time. I'm sorry you had to frog the pull over : (

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday! I didn't know it was your Birthday!
    Sounds like a great time was had by you both. I'm not much for flea markets or any kind of shopping for that matter. I do have two exceptions. I'm sure you can guess.....Yarn shopping and fabric shopping. I could do either for hours. Did you buy any of the clay flowers? Those were amazing. What talent!
    The castle is so out of place. What were they thinking? We have huge mansions here and there too. Right in the middle of a farm field. Hello?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the flowers!!!BTW you've been tagged for a meme. Check out my blog for the details.

    ReplyDelete